May 21, 2012

LESSology Challenge #14: Guest designer Mitra Pratt


Photobucket

Let's give a warm welcome to our guest designer for LESSology Challenge #14: Birds of a feather, Mitra Pratt! :)

A huge thanks to Yvonne for asking me to be a guest designer for LESSology, a challenge blog I keep close to my heart. Although I love to scrapbook, altering items that ordinarily end up in the trash is quite the thrill! Add a bit of vintage in and perhaps some flowers and I'm quite content!

I scrap, alter, and blog I believe to help my poor brain recover from my day job in an Engineering firm.

We recently moved to upstate NY where the craft stores are rare, but the second hand shops with vintage items are numerous so reusing and remaking are a must!If you'd like to take a peek at what I'm up to day to day, here is my blog:  http://mitralee.blogspot.com/

Yvonne contacted me to ask if I would like to be a guest designer for LESSology Challenge #14: Birds of a feather. Did I ever!
Yvonne contacted me to ask me if I wanted to be the guest designer for LESSology Challenge # 14: Birds of a feather. Did I ever!



Luck was with me at the Second Hand store! When I walked in, this brown birdcage was near the door!

When I walked up the counter with it, the owner said, "Well I have this other green bridcage too...if you are interested...it just needs a wire." 

Next thing I know, I'm the PROUD owner of two birdcages for this challenge. Both were in pretty good shape, didn't need any repainting in my book, except for the bird which was a little grungy.



My favorite part of the project was incorporating this turquoise knob on the top! You will never believe how I attached it. I kept stacking up washers until I had made up enough room! Loved adding all the antique doilies and flowers!





Although, making these nests by hand was a whole lot of fun too. 

I will post a very small tutorial shortly on how to make these. 


And, here is the fun part! The brown cage is up for grabs! Leave me a comment that you're playing along with this challenge and I'll randomly pick someone and send it your way. Doesn't matter where!

Oooh....aren't these just lovely? And one of you gets to own the brown bird cage! :)

Please leave a little love for our guest Mitra! :)


15 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

These are gorgeous Mitra!! Glad to have you with us this month!!!!

Lizzy Hill said...

What an amazing transformation...& that bird nest on top is FABULOUS....lovely, yummy work, Mitra:):):)

Shahrul Niza said...

Such LOVELY art work!!. If I'm a bird, I'd be so HAPPY to live in here and sing all day :)). Beautiful.

chris a said...

Just so beautiful and inspiring - what a great touch for anyone's home!

~amy~ said...

Wow...gorgeous work!!!!

Jan Garber said...

I am unable to post my entry until the 24th...it also serves as my Do You Stack Up assignment that can't go up until then! When it does, you'll agree that great minds think alike! I LOVE your cages, and have just started decorating my scrap room in PRETTY! Yours would make a lovely addition!
http://scrapnsurprise.blogspot.com/

cotts said...

LOvely MItra...what a great find at the op shop!!I bet your heart gave a flutter when you saw it...just like mine did when I saw the finished product....thanks for the inspiration and sharing this with us!

jacirascrap said...

Adoraria ter uma gaiola assim...que linda!!!! Estou postando meu projeto no desafio e adorei ver estas gaiolas com suas flores!!!

Lynnda said...

So WOW... and so Gorgeous!!!! I love it Mitra... I'm so happy to have you with us.... hugs...xoxo

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

This is stunning!!!!!

Michelle Looi said...

These are really beautiful find in the stores! Pretty updo of the cages!

Michelle Looi said...

These are really beautiful find in the stores! Pretty updo of the cages!

jeanie g said...

I just love these little beauties, the doilies are inspirational for the "Less-able-ology wannabees!

Mynn xx said...

These are absolutely AMAZING!!!! LOVE all the gorgeous vintage details--and your lace makes me swoon! LOVE THIS! :)

maria f. said...

Nice job Mitra. Love the shape of that blue cage and if I see correctly it looks like you added a little nest to that silk flower - what a great idea is that!